Sunday, March 9, 2014

Brownie Cookies


I've been trying to find a good double chocolate chip cookie recipe by the request of my man, aka my cookie taste tester. I tried adding cocoa to the regular chocolate chip cookies I make, but they just weren't chocolatey enough. So when I saw this recipe on Cookies and Cups blog, I knew it was the one, especially since it's more like a brownie. It's the perfect combo pretty much.



Man, I love those crinkles. These cookies are so soft, almost a little too soft if you don't let them sit for a few minutes right out of the oven! I also thought they might have been just a little too chocolately. I know that's crazy, but overpowering chocolate gives me a headache! It has semi-sweet chocolate chips, so maybe I could try using less, or use a different type of chocolate?


I thought they tasted even better with a little peanut butter in between 2 cookies to make a chocolate peanut butter sandwich. The cookie critic, however, said that peanut butter is too strong and overpowers the chocolate, so he preferred the cookie as is, with a big glass of milk of course.


 


Brownie Cookies
Recipe adapted from Cookies and Cups

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 lb semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • *optional peanut butter to sandwich in the cookies
  1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone liner, set aside.
  3. In medium sauce pan melt butter and chopped semisweet chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently until just melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes until warm.
  4. Meanwhile, while chocolate is cooling, in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  5. In another medium bowl whisk together eggs, brown sugar and vanilla.
  6. Add chocolate to egg mixture slowly, stirring as you're adding. Stir in the flour mixture next and finally the milk chocolate chips.
  7. Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon onto lined baking sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
  8. If desired fill cookies with peanut butter to form sandwiches.



Since it's still the worst winter ever, I've been trying to do things to not get cabin fever, like taking a pasta making class! There was a Groupon for this class at Cooking Fools in Bucktown, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It was pretty fun, and now I can make my own pasta and ravioli at home IF I buy a pasta machine!! They actually have one for only $30 at Target... I just don't have enough storage or counter space in my tiny kitchen to get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment